[geos-devel] GEOS 3.0.0 RC3 binary compatibile in all cases?

Mike Leahy mgleahy at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Dec 14 22:21:53 EST 2006

Hello List,

I hope you don't mind me posting in this development list...my question
just didn't seem belong in the PostGIS list where Paul made the RC3
announcment...

What I'd like to know is: does binary compatibility mean that all
applications compiled against 2.2.x should still work?

My problem is that I've got QGIS 0.8pre2 installed, which I compiled
againsed 2.2.x.  It definitely won't compile against GEOS 3.x yet (it
specifically states so when running the configure script against 3.x,
and fooling it into configuring/compiling anyway was not very
successful).  Most applications that I compiled against 2.2.x all seemed
to load/run fine (specifically tried running gdalinfo, ogrinfo, mapserv,
mapscript/mapscript_csharp, and postgis) after I installed GEOS
3.0.0.rc3 and added a link to the current module like so:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libgeos-3.0.0rc3.so /usr/lib64/libgeos.so.2

However, when I tried to run the QGIS binaries compiled against 2.2.x
with the GEOS 3.x libraries, I got the following error:

qgis: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libqgis_core.so.0: undefined
symbol: _ZTIN4geos8GeometryE

I ran ldd on the qgis binary, and it indicates it is linking to the
following GEOS libraries:

         libgeos_c.so.1 => /usr/lib64/libgeos_c.so.1 (0x00002aaaac37a000)
         libgeos.so.2 => /usr/lib64/libgeos.so.2 (0x00002aaaae2c9000)

As far as I can tell, most of the other tools I mentioned above link to
the same modules.  So is this a problem that maybe somebody here can
shed some light on, or is it a problem that I should discuss in the QGIS
users list...or should I instead simply stick with 2.2.x for now?

Thanks for any help,
Mike