[geos-devel] Unit Tests port

Charlie Savage cfis at interserv.com
Tue Feb 28 21:14:57 EST 2006

Hi Mateusz,

Good luck with this - I think it is a great idea.  Did you see the
follow up article that Noel wrote a couple months back?

http://www.gamesfromwithin.com/articles/0512/000103.html

He points out another framework, based loosely on cppunitlite

http://cnicholson.net/content.php?id=52

I've never used any of these frameworks, so don't have any recommendations.

For a completely different approach, you could use Python or Ruby to
test GEOS via the SWIG bindings.  If you look in CVS, I have ported the
C++ example to Ruby and turned it into a bunch of unit tests.  Note that
GDAL takes this approach, it has a whole test suite written in Python.
The advantage is that its really fast to develop tests and you have full
access to the C++ api.  The disadvantage is there is an extra level of
wrapping going on - which shouldn't matter for testing functionality but
comes into play when managing memory.

Thanks,

Charlie