[geos-devel] Indexing question from a newbie

Martin Davis mbdavis at VividSolutions.com
Fri Jul 7 14:05:09 EDT 2006

Here's the differences between Quadtree and STRtree:

Quadtree is dynamic (items can be added at any time, not just at
construction time, and items can be deleted)
STRtree is static (the tree can be populated with items only once, after
construction)
STRtree is faster than Quadtree (up to 2 times or more faster)

As usual, there is a tradeoff between flexibility and efficiency.

There are examples of the use of these classes throughout the GEOS/JTS
code.  In particular (in JTS at least) the unit tests in test.jts.index
should provide some simple examples.

Martin Davis, Senior Technical Architect
Vivid Solutions Inc.      www.vividsolutions.com
Suite #1A-2328 Government Street Victoria, B.C. V8T 5G5
Phone: (250) 385 6040 - Local 308 Fax: (250) 385 6046