[geos-devel] New python/ruby SWIG bindings checked in

Charlie Savage cfis at savagexi.com
Thu Jul 13 04:16:54 EDT 2006

A quick update on the SWIG bindings.  I've checked in the following changes:

* Complete SWIG bindings for Ruby and Python that use the C API

* Almost 100% test coverage of the Ruby bindings (and thus C API).

* A quick sanity test for the Python bindings (since both bindings share
99% of the same code I feel pretty good about the Python bindings - but
always good to check).

* Integration of the SWIG bindings into the GEOS build system.  To build
the bindings:

./configure --enable-python --enable-ruby

* Right now you need SWIG 1.3.29 installed, but I think the plan is to
include the SWIG generated wrappers in the distribution so you won't
need SWIG at all.

* The bindings compile and work on Linux with g++ and on Windows with
VC++ 2005.

What needs to be done:

* Check the build using MingW on Windows
* A bit more testing (test gladly accepted)
* Add some helper methods to smooth the rough edges of the c-api,
particularly working with coordinate sequences which is painful.

So if you have some time, grab the latest from CVS and see if the
bindings compile and work on your platform!

I'd love to hear from Python users (Sean and Howard!). Since I'm
familiar with Ruby, I know the Rubyisms to put into the bindings.
But I don't know Python well enough to get the Pythonisms right.  So let
me know if there are things missing like special methods or iterators,
and I'll add them in.

Thanks,

Charlie