[geos-devel] Re: New python/ruby SWIG bindings checked in / Can't build on Mac OSX

Robert J. Berger rberger at ibd.com
Tue Jul 25 03:22:51 EDT 2006

Yes, there is no libtool in the topdir from when I checked out from
CVS, but then I downloaded the last tar file geos-2-1.2.3.tar.bz2 and
ran configure (the configure files were all there already, which was
not true when I got the CVS files) it built libtool and the compile
went fine.

So using the geos-2-1.2.3.tar.bz2 distribution, everything built and
installed fine, but the CVS build did not work.

The later is probably because I did something stupid.....

Like should I be able to just run autgen.sh to build the proper
configure files?
Or did I not get all the CVS files? (I thought I followed the
directions on the web page to get the CVS files.)

Thanks in any case!

Now I have to just learn how to use GEOS, POSTGIS, Ruby and Google
Earth KML without any background in GIS :-)

On Jul 24, 2006, at 11:53 PM, Charlie Savage wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> On both Linux and Windows with msys, all the generated make files
> have this line:
>
> LIBTOOL = $(SHELL) $(top_builddir)/libtool
>
> This refers to the libtool file that should be in the top level
> GEOS directory.  Is that file missing for you?
>
> Either way, I'm guessing this isn't a SWIG binding issue.  If
> you're missing the libtool file, does that mean you can't compile
> GEOS either?
>
> I can't help much more on libtool/autoconf/automake etc., but would
> be interested in hearing about your progress with the SWIG bindings
> on the Mac since I don't have one I can test on.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charlie
>

> Robert J. Berger wrote:
>> I just tried to build the latest CVS on a Macintosh OS X Macbook
>> Pro. I did install swig 1.3.29 and had to run autogen.sh to get
>> the configure files then did the configure line as recommended,
>> configure ran without complaints, then when I tried to build Geos
>> I get:
>> % make
>> Making all in source
>> Making all in algorithm
>> source='CGAlgorithms.cpp' object='CGAlgorithms.lo' libtool=yes \
>> depfile='.deps/CGAlgorithms.Plo' tmpdepfile='.deps/
>> CGAlgorithms.TPlo' \
>> depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh ../../depcomp \
>> /bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=compile g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -
>> I../../source/headers -I../../source/headers/geos -I../../source/
>> headers     -g -O2 -DGEOS_INLINE -Wall -ansi -pedantic -Wno-long-
>> long -c -o CGAlgorithms.lo `test -f 'CGAlgorithms.cpp' || echo
>> './'`CGAlgorithms.cpp
>> ../../libtool: ../../libtool: No such file or directory
>> I do have libtool, but its in /usr/bin/libtool Not sure why the
>> makefile thinks its in the top_buildir.
>> Robert J. Berger - Internet Bandwidth Development, LLC.
>> Voice: 408-882-4755 eFax: +1-408-490-2868 http://www.ibd.com