[geos-devel] Swig Update and questions

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Sat Jun 24 18:21:34 EDT 2006

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 04:03:41PM -0600, Charlie Savage wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm in the process of updating the swig bindings for the 3.0 release and
> have a few questions.
>
> What I've done so far:
>
> * Reabled swig, ruby and python options in configure
> * Went back to the automake files I put together previously.
> * If you enable ruby/python bindings and have ruby or python installed
> the bindings should build ok.  Still need to do a bit more testing on this.
>
> Now a couple of questions:
>
> * Strk - there was something else you wanted done in the build process
> but I can't remember what it was - I think it had to do with tarring up
>  a release and including the swig files.  Do you remember?

We surely want them distributed. We also want to distribute the generated
wrapper (for those not having unstable swig installed).
Would be nice if make maintainer-clean would get rid of the latter
and next make would recreate it.
(haven't tested your new makefiles yet)

> * Who owns the geometries returned from methods such as Intersection,
> Difference, etc?  The C API doesn't give any indication and it wasn't
> obvious to me looking through the C++ code.

A rule of thumb for the C API is:
Every Geometry caller should take care of is returned
as a non-const object.
For these specific case the caller must delete them.