[geos-devel] SVN

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Sat Mar 11 13:07:23 EST 2006

strk at refractions.net wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 09:35:40AM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:
>
>>Change for changes sake? :)  We could lint all the files too, while
>>we are at it :)
>>I'll bow to the will of the developers though... this is something
>>best done at the archive level, I believe, since we are in CVS not
>>SVN. Hey, speaking of disruptive change, how about an SVN archive :)
>

> As far as the learning curve won't be too long I'm ok with SVN
> (comments on this?)

Hi strk,
 From my experience, I can say curve of learning SVN is really
short and flat :-)

Here you have an excelent free book:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

If I could suggest what to read from this book, here it is:

First, what's Subversion
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.intro.html#svn.intro.whatis

A Quick Start
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.intro.quickstart.html

About working copies and revisions idea:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.basic.in-action.html

Finally, Basic Work Cycle:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.tour.cycle.html

This definitely is enough to understand SVN and start to work with it.

Next, more advanced topic is tags and branches:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.branchmerge.html

Here you can get tiny but comparative look at CVS and SVN
(and other RCS's):
http://better-scm.berlios.de/comparison/comparison.html

Cheers
--