[geos-devel] A word about Javisms

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Thu Mar 23 22:39:25 EST 2006

On Mar 23, 2006, at 7:03 PM, Mateusz Łoskot wrote:

> What does GEOS compatibility with JTS mean?

It means that porting concepts, bug fixes, and new algorithms from
JTS to GEOS not be made difficult by differences in the code bases.
Why?  Because the limiting factor in the development of GEOS is not C+
+ coding expertise, it is computational geometry and geometric
algorithm expertise.  We are lucky to be able to sponge off of Martin
Davis' work in JTS, and in particular his expertise in the subject
matter area.  The years of experience Martin has are not easily
replicable, so even when we have clients asking us for improvements
specifically in PostGIS/GEOS (and we do), it makes sense to have
Martin do them in JTS and then port them, when they are algorithmic
and conceptual in nature.

> Does possible redesign to C++ style will make GEOS incompatible
> with JTS in any way?

That is in the eyes of the person who will have to do the ports,
Sandro.  So as long as it is still clear enough to him, it works for
me.  If you want a flavour of it, diff the JTS source from 1.7 to the
present and then see if you can figure out where/how the changes
effect GEOS.

> What about idea to make GEOS compatible with JTS on the level of
> interface but not implementation?

It is actually the implementation which matters, in this case.

> Finally, GEOS is a C++ application but how to make C++ API stable?

Is the API not stable?  (Well, if you guys stop reorganizing code and
namespaces, it will get stable, but I assume this is a one-time spasm.)

P.