[geos-devel] Petition for a 2.2.2 release

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Mon Mar 27 11:58:22 EST 2006

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 07:15:55AM -0700, Sean Gillies wrote:
> On Mar 27, 2006, at 2:07 AM, strk at refractions.net wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 02:35:48PM -0700, Charlie Savage wrote:
> >>Do we want to include the swig patches I have for 2.2.2?  Includes
> >>Ruby
> >>bindings, and more polished Python bindings.
> >
> >No problem for me. I'm pretty much assorbed in HEAD, and it might
> >come out not much later then 2.2.2.
> >BTW, class renames is finished, did you give HEAD a try with swig ?
> >
> >--strk;
> >

> Charlie, I feel that we shouldn't make significant changes like that
> in a point release. Besides, isn't the SWIG API going to break from
> 2.2 to 3.0? It doesn't make sense to me to release something that
> will be immediately broken.
>
> Anything else I can do to get 2.2.2 out the door, Sandro?

I'm still unsure about versioning of the C library.
Having added new functions we should increment MINOR.

Could you check what happens using:
 CAPI_INTERFACE_CURRENT=2
 CAPI_INTERFACE_REVISION=0
 CAPI_INTERFACE_AGE=1
?

It should produce (on Linux): libgeos_c.so.1.1.0

SONAME should be libgeos_c.so.1 so this shouldn't represent
a binary incompatibility. At least it is on my system
(GNU/Linux)

readelf -a <path_to>/libgeos_c.so | grep -i SONAME