[geos-devel] Re: Problems with installation of geos on RedHat 9 (third try, i hope this is text)

alex bodnaru alexbodn at 012.net.il
Sat May 20 08:58:41 EDT 2006

hi johan,

though not an expert in redhat, i'll try to direct you in a valid direction.
first, as i see you have already tryed to install geos before, i'd
suggest you to uninstall it:

geos related rpm you have installed, uninstall using rpm (check how to
in rpm manuals).

go to the geos source directory of each version you ever tryed to
install from sources on your current system and run: make uninstall.

then, i'd suggest you to use the procedure described at
http://nccoos.org/Members/cbc/how-i-installed-postgis, at least for the
geos part there.
you may also build geos from sources on your system, but then you may
need additional tools and packages. see eventual error message for
completing the missing files. i'd suggest you search for and install the
rpms that contain this files, and not just the source packages themselves.

i know this message is very schematic, but please use your understanding
and creativity to fill the evident gaps in my knowledge.

good luck,

alex