[geos-devel] geos for perl

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at ec.gc.ca
Wed Sep 6 11:50:23 EDT 2006

Hi,

After some discussion on postgis-users, I thought I'd shift things over
here.

We have a requirement in which we have much geospatial data which is NOT
in PostGIS (shapefile, MySQL, MapInfo, etc.).  PostGIS contains
functionality we desire, i.e., buffer, distance, etc.  Porting
everything to PostGIS/PostgreSQL is not an option.

Since PostGIS is an add-on to PostgreSQL, we started to investigate the
innards of PostGIS and how tied it is to PostgreSQL.

It seems that PostGIS is a set of natively defined functions, and
additional functions if one compiles with geos.  Our spatial
requirements would initially be:

- point-in-polygon
- distance
- buffers

Technology-wise, we would prefer if this was accessible via Perl.  geos
has python and ruby swig bindings via swig.

What is the state of affairs w.r.t. geos' swig support?  For example, I
tried building the python bindings just to see, however I had swig
errors complaining about missing .i files.

Thanks

..Tom