[geos-devel] Patch: Fixing GEOS HEAD compilation under MingW

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Wed Jan 3 12:22:47 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 18:28 +0200, Ari Jolma wrote:
> Mark Cave-Ayland kirjoitti:
> > I've just discovered that the issue with ld.exe crashing was a problem
> > with my MingW setup - I've fixed this, and just completed a clean GEOS
> > build under MingW by downloading a fresh source and applying the patch
> > from my previous email :D
> >

> Could you tell us what the problem was? I'm having similar problems with
> MinGW/MSYS when building GDAL. I changed the max_cmd_len to 50000 and it
> fixed the problem, but according to you my MinGW setup is faulty.
>
> Ari

Hi Ari,

Sure. I found a second copy of ld.exe and a few other utilities
in /mingw/mingw32 even after I had upgraded the binutils package. The
solution for me was to extract the latest binutils package
(binutils-2.17.50-20060824-1.tar.gz) in /mingw/, and then move
the /mingw/mingw32 directory somewhere safe outside of /mingw/.

I then found that re-running configure allowed libtool to find the
version of ld.exe in /mingw/bin rather than /mingw/mingw32/bin, and the
linking problem disappeared. I'd be interested to hear whether this
solves the problem for you.

Kind regards,

Mark.