[geos-devel] Warning: passing arg 2 of of `execv' from incompatible pointer type when compiling geos 2.2.3

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Tue Jan 23 18:28:55 EST 2007

Hi Regina,

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 17:52 -0500, Obe, Regina wrote:

(cut)

> I've been getting the below warnings in all the .libs example files,
> although the library seems to compile.  I'm not sure if these warnings
> are common or if I should be concerned.
>
> creating example.exe
> ..libs/lt-example.c: In function `main':
> ..libs/lt-example.c:79: warning: passing arg 2 of `execv' from
> incompatible pointer type

AFAIK this is OK - it occurs in the Win32 PostGIS builds, and I seem to
remember strk did the research and concluded it was not harmful.

> On another note - I noticed my libgeos-2.dll and libgeos_c-1.dll are
> much huger than I would expect.
> The libgeos-2.dll is a whopping 10.9 mb and the libgeos_c-1.dll is 1086
> kb. I'm guessing I must be statically compiling something in that I
> shouldn't be.

Yeah, by default configure produces DLLs including debugging
information. You can remove the debugging information by using the
"strip" command.

In fact, you may find it useful to go to the PostGIS Windows download
page at http://postgis.refractions.net/download/windows/ and download
one of the NSIS installer sources from the bottom of the page. In the
ZIP file, you can find the win32build.sh script that I use to build the
releases ready for inclusion in the Win32 installer - it should be a
useful reference point for you.

Kind regards,

Mark.