[geos-devel] Newbie Question - planar graph vs geometry graph

Ben Supnik bsupnik at xsquawkbox.net
Mon Jan 29 18:13:17 EST 2007

Hi,

I do apologize if this is a dumb question but...

Could someone please help me understand the relationships between the
planar graph, geometry graph, and spatial indexing classes?

I see two "planar graphs" in different namespaces, but no docs on
"geometry graph" yet, so I'm a little bit confused on where to look.

I'm looking for four types of functionality:

- A spatial index to speed up queries within an envelope.  (Looks like
there are plenty of classes for that. :-)

- A planar map that can contain already-built topological planar graphs
from a file (e.g. I already have the topo info and need a container to
hold it and do things like adjacency queries and iteration).

- A planar map that can be built from GIS primitives like polygons and
multi-polygons.

In particular if there are classes that can do more than one of these
tasks with a performance advantage, that's what I'm really after.

If anyone can point me at the right classes for the right jobs, it would
be greatly appreciated!

*cheers*
ben

--