[geos-devel] GEOS SRID Patch

Charlie Savage cfis at savagexi.com
Fri Sep 21 13:29:39 EDT 2007

> The readme on releasing spells out the policy if I recall correctly.

Yes, there is. But I do find section #2 confusing:

1: Increment CAPI_INTERFACE_X in configure.in
    - For a release with no interface changes just bump REVISION.
      [ Even if *nothing* changed in CAPI ]
    - Adding interfaces, bump CURRENT/AGE, set REVISION to 0.
    - Deleting interfaces / compatibility issues - bump CURRENT, others
to zero
      [ THIS MUST BE CAREFULLY AVOIDED ]

2: Increment release version:
    - VERSION_PATCH for bugfixes/improvements (even breaking C++ API)
    - VERSION_MINOR for NEW interfaces in the C lib
    - VERSION_MAJOR for SUBSTANTIAL additions or C lib ABI break
      [ THIS MUST BE CAREFULLY AVOIDED ]

For section #2, does C lib mean the C++ lib or CAPI?  Note that the
comments in configure.in talk about the C++ lib.

So my take is I should update the CAPI to:

CAPI_INTERFACE_CURRENT=5 (currently 4)
CAPI_INTERFACE_REVISION=0 (currently 3)
CAPI_INTERFACE_AGE=4 (currently 3)

Although I'm not sure what CAPI_INTERFACE_AGE is supposed to mean.

For the C++ lib, I'm doing:

VERSION_MAJOR=3
VERSION_MINOR=0
VERSION_PATCH=0rc5

Seem reasonable?  I will now apply my patch...

Thanks,

Charlie