[geos-devel] Geos 2.2.3 vs. 3.0.0

Mike Leahy mgleahy at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Feb 14 18:17:27 EST 2008

Hello List,

I'm setting up a new server that in the not-too-distant future will be
used for some live project work.  I'm currently running Fedora 8, and I
find that most of the GIS-related utilities we need are available from
the default Fedora repositories.  However, the Geos in the Fedora
repositories is still at version 2.2.3.  I don't know how likely that is
to change in the near future, but I'm guessing it might be a while (if
at all for Fedora 8) given the number of dependencies that would also
have to be updated (Gdal, Qgis, MapServer, etc.).

What I'd like to know is whether the improvements in 3.0.0 are
significant enough to make it worthwhile for me to go through the
process of compiling it myself (plus all of the dependant tools).  This
isn't too difficult for me to do, but it is time consuming, and I'd
rather rely on binaries complied and tested by those with more expertise
than I have.  Alternatively, I can stick with 2.2.3 (and maybe hope for
updates on F8), or consider another distribution that has Geos 3.0.0
already distributed with it (does anyone know if this is the case, maybe
for CentOS?).

What recommendations would anyone on this list have?

Thanks in advance,
Mike