[geos-devel] Fwd: Prepared Geometry

Hartmut Kaiser hartmut.kaiser at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 18:47:56 EDT 2008

Martin,

> Harmut, I'm not trying to be inflammatory.  You're right, the Java-vs-C
> thing is my personal opinion.  It was a small attempt at humour, but
> this probably isn't the right forum for that kind of joke.

Heh, I might be German, but I'm always open to somebody cracking a joke. :-P

> I was the person who made the decision about the semantics of
> SegmentString, and I (with others) made the decision to try and track
> the JTS codebase as closely as possible with GEOS.  I still think that
> was the right decision, given the limited resources to maintain the two
> codebases.

Ok, this explains the situation.

> It's easy to skeet-shoot from the sidelines, but unless
> you're willing to contribute the time to rewrite the entire library the
> question is moot.

Since I implemented such a thing in C++ in the late 90's once, I exactly
know what's involved. So rest assured, I'm not going to do it again. And I
hope you accept me contributing my time even if I'm not going to rewrite it.

And hey, I'm not skeet-shooting or criticizing, all I said was I'ld have
done it differently. And - IIRC, I said I'm impressed by GEOS.

But I stop responding to this thread, it's way too far off topic already.

Regards Hartmut