[geos-devel] Unclear objects lifetime and ownership issues in Monotone Chain components

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Thu Sep 25 07:10:48 EDT 2008

 Mark,

> If I had a choice then it would be to spend the time re-engineering
> Martin's JTS concepts/ideas into an algorithmic form which is friendly
> to the language it is being written in, rather than trying to hack in
> pointer reference counting. Work with the language, not against it.

Sounds almost like you are asking for a domain-language for spatial to
write a meta-program which would
write JTS and GEOS.  Does such a domain-language exist already? Sounds
intriguing.  I love code generators.
I wonder if this is as difficult as it sounds on the surface.
I would much more trust a computer to do bean counting than a human if
we could codify what constructs require bean counting and which don't.

I imagine such a language would look more like JTS, but with fewer
constructs to prevent
people from swaying off the beaten path without enhancing the
domain-language.

Thanks,
Regina