[geos-devel] GEOS Ruby bindings gem and extensions

J Smith jay at zoocasa.com
Wed Dec 1 11:53:08 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at opengeo.org> wrote:
> If there's no integration *required* to make the Ruby stuff work well,
> then (a) you should keep them  and (b) we should strip out the old
> ones and replace them with a readme.txt pointing to the location of
> the maintained ones.
>
> P.

That would be cool. A further option to that -- if there's an official
GEOS or OpenGeo github account, our gem could be forked and that could
sort of become the official "GEOS-blessed" gem and we, as Zoocasa,
could have our own separate fork in a more unofficial way. That way we
can add stuff as we need to to our gem but it won't affect the
upstream blessed-gem unless you guys decide to merge any changes in.
(This whole social coding thing is pretty cool, yeah?)

I don't really know how much maintenance would be required going
forward as the Ruby bindings seem are quite stable. Perhaps this sort
of release will foster some interest in new features in the bindings
themselves. For our part, we've never had to patch away at the
bindings directly and have been putting all of our extensions into the
separate gem we'll be releasing, so that's kind of a separate thing.

Cheers!