[geos-devel] Motion: GEOS-3.3.0 feature freeze

J Smith dark.panda+lists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 10:51:10 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 3:28 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> wrote:
> Given PostGIS 2.0 is planned for June 15, I think it's worth having
> GEOS-3.3.0 out in time for it.
>
> See the NEWS file [1] for changes so far.
> [1] http://trac.osgeo.org/geos/browser/trunk/NEWS?rev=3265
>
> I've provisionally set milestone due date to May 15 (on trac)
> but we can of course change it if anyone has undergoing work
> on the codebase.
>
> There are 13 active tickets for the milestone [2].
> [2] http://trac.osgeo.org/geos/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&group=status&milestone=3.3.0
>
> So, if you agree, I'd call feature-freeze in one week unless someone.
> Please PSC cast your votes.

Sweet, I've been looking forward to GEOS 3.3.0 and PostGIS 2.0.

I've been holding off on rolling Ruby gems for the ffi-geos library
until the code was frozen, but with a feature freeze imminent I think
it's worth releasing a beta now.

I believe at this point I've kept feature parity with the PHP
bindings, although I might have missed something somewhere, so maybe a
beta release will bear that out. I've tested the library now on a
number of systems including 64- and 32-bit linux as well as OSX in
both 32-bit and full 64-bit kernel modes using versions Ruby MRI 1.8.7
and 1.9.2 and JRuby 1.5.2 and 1.6.0 on two different applications in a
development context and things appear to be working well. I haven't
had a chance to try things out in a production environment yet,
although a current project is using ffi-geos from the ground up and
performing well, so that's a good sign.

I think it would be a good time for me to roll a beta (alpha?) gem for
those that are interested, so I'll try to release one soon so the
curious can give it a shot. I think it would be cool to release the
first ffi-geos final around the same time as GEOS 3.3.0 since it was
really built around the current GEOS svn head, although many features
will work on 3.2.2 to some degree. At any rate, the code itself is
available at https://github.com/dark-panda/ffi-geos for anyone wishing
to take a look at the current state of affairs.

Very exciting news, thanks strk.