[geos-devel] Motion: GEOS-3.3.0 feature freeze

Charlie Savage cfis at savagexi.com
Wed Apr 13 11:21:21 EDT 2011

Hi J,
> I've been holding off on rolling Ruby gems for the ffi-geos library
> until the code was frozen, but with a feature freeze imminent I think
> it's worth releasing a beta now.

Definitely.

> I believe at this point I've kept feature parity with the PHP
> bindings, although I might have missed something somewhere, so maybe a
> beta release will bear that out. I've tested the library now on a
> number of systems including 64- and 32-bit linux as well as OSX in
> both 32-bit and full 64-bit kernel modes using versions Ruby MRI 1.8.7
> and 1.9.2 and JRuby 1.5.2 and 1.6.0 on two different applications in a
> development context and things appear to be working well. I haven't
> had a chance to try things out in a production environment yet,
> although a current project is using ffi-geos from the ground up and
> performing well, so that's a good sign.

Once you're ready, we can do some testing (within our app) on Windows,
Fedora, CentOS and OSX also.

> I think it would be a good time for me to roll a beta (alpha?) gem for
> those that are interested, so I'll try to release one soon so the
> curious can give it a shot. I think it would be cool to release the
> first ffi-geos final around the same time as GEOS 3.3.0 since it was
> really built around the current GEOS svn head, although many features
> will work on 3.2.2 to some degree. At any rate, the code itself is
> available at https://github.com/dark-panda/ffi-geos for anyone wishing
> to take a look at the current state of affairs.

Is it worth creating a RubyGeo group on github and put the geos and
proj4 bindings - either the new ffi one I think you have done or the
original gem under it?  So this would be like the Rails group or
xml4ruby - versus the gems under an individual account.  And any other
related geo gems that people want to put in one place (gdal??)

Thanks,

Charlie