[geos-devel] licensing when doing a static link of GEOS in iOS

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Apr 20 04:27:49 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 05:01:39PM -0700, Ragi Burhum wrote:
> Sorry about bringing a licensing question, but I am curious.
>
> I know the implications of using LGPL code in shared libraries (on
> "traditional" apps), so no need to explain it there.
>
> However, I am curious as to the iOS case, where every app *has* to be
> statically linked. I know there are apps out there that have been compiled
> with Spatialite support (with GEOS option on), but the code for those apps
> are nowhere to be found. Is it because they are violating the LGPL, or is
> there some other way to link to GEOS without having to release all of your
> code under GPL terms.

Distributing a binary version of GEOS (statically linked, in this case)
w/out distributing also the source code (of GEOS) is a clear license
violation.

Section 6 of the LGPL text cover this.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/lgpl-2.0.html

If I recall correctly Apple forbids distributing source code trough
the apple store, which was the reason for VLC being dropped from there.
Apple devices are well known for being defective by design
http://www.defectivebydesign.org