[geos-devel] licensing when doing a static link of GEOS in iOS

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Apr 20 08:13:57 EDT 2011

Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 05:01:39PM -0700, Ragi Burhum wrote:
>> Sorry about bringing a licensing question, but I am curious.
>>
>> I know the implications of using LGPL code in shared libraries (on
>> "traditional" apps), so no need to explain it there.
>>
>> However, I am curious as to the iOS case, where every app *has* to be
>> statically linked. I know there are apps out there that have been compiled
>> with Spatialite support (with GEOS option on), but the code for those apps
>> are nowhere to be found. Is it because they are violating the LGPL, or is
>> there some other way to link to GEOS without having to release all of your
>> code under GPL terms.
>
> Distributing a binary version of GEOS (statically linked, in this case)
> w/out distributing also the source code (of GEOS) is a clear license
> violation.
>
> Section 6 of the LGPL text cover this.
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/lgpl-2.0.html
>
> If I recall correctly Apple forbids distributing source code trough
> the apple store, which was the reason for VLC being dropped from there.
> Apple devices are well known for being defective by design
> http://www.defectivebydesign.org

Further, my understanding (IANAL) is that the app store terms of service
forbid the user to redistribute, and that's incompatible with all
copyleft licenses (the "any other restriction" clause), even if you did
provide source and dynamic linking with LGPL.  So as far as I can tell,
it's improper to include any GPL/LPGL code in any iOs app, period.

Please do name the apps that seem to do this.