[geos-devel] Fix to enable ruby bindings with ruby 1.9.3 (#5)

J Smith dark.panda+lists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 10:29:19 EST 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 1:08 PM, strk <strk at keybit.net> wrote:
> Can any Ruby/GEOS developer take a look at this ?

Perhaps it's getting time to start thinking of sunsetting the SWIG
extension for Ruby and let ffi-geos start to fill the void. We've been
using the ffi-geos extension in production for months now and it's
been holding up, and it's more featureful, is easier to modify than
the SWIG bindings for the uninitiated and works with jruby in addition
to the MRI.

Of course, I'm saying this while trying to track down a segfault
that's occurring in it with Ruby 1.9.3-p0, so maybe it's not quite
ready at least on that version of Ruby. :( Still, it may be worth
considering longer-term, as there hasn't really been any development
on the Ruby SWIG extension in years, especially when compared to the
its PHP cousin and to the CAPI itself.

Anyways, just throwing it out there as an option. Cheers.