[geos-devel] code for ST_ClosestPoint

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu Nov 14 13:51:25 PST 2013

It's a schmozzle, what can I say. All the distance functions and easy
measurements (area, perimeter) pre-dated GEOS, and were left in place
when GEOS arrived. And native functions were found to be unambiguously
faster than calling into GEOS (no real surprise) so much additional
functionality (particularly for linear things, like LRS) and
enhancements to old functionality (like distance on curves) has been
added to the native code base.

P.