[geos-devel] GEOS Usage Follow Up

Malcolm Toon malcolm at foreflight.com
Fri Oct 11 12:15:05 PDT 2013

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 15:51:45 +0200
> From: Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net>
> To: GEOS Development List <geos-devel at lists.osgeo.org>
> Subject: Re: [geos-devel] GEOS Usage
>
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 09:09:21AM -0400, Malcolm Toon wrote:
>> Good morning!
>>
>> We are evaluating spatialite with GEOS extensions for inclusion in an iOS project we're working on. Because we're targeting iOS, we cannot dynamically link the library in, so we'd have to statically link it in (unmodified though).  We've reviewed the license for GEOS and due to the LGPL and its static linking clause, it appears we'd have to provide the open source community access to any artifacts needed to build our project.  This isn't something we can do.  So, we're reaching out directly to see what advice you're giving other iOS developers in the same situation.
>
> Why can't you give access to the source code of your project ?

For the obvious reason… It's commercial, which we could use GEOS for on any other platform by dynamically linking it in, it's just on iOS we can't dynamically link.  Does anyone have any other thoughts about how this might be accomplished?  Does anyone know of an alternative license that GEOS might be distributed under?  We have no desire to change it without contributing the changes back, just want to be able to use it on a platform that doesn't provide dynamic linking.

Thank you!
-Malcolm