[geos-devel] GEOS Usage Follow Up

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Oct 11 14:13:51 PDT 2013

Hi,

On 11.10.2013 21:15, Malcolm Toon wrote:
> For the obvious reason… It's commercial, which we could use GEOS for
> on any other platform by dynamically linking it in, it's just on iOS
> we can't dynamically link.

Generally I have little sympathy here - you have chosen to use a
proprietary operating system and you want to make money from selling a
proprietary application, so just factor in the cost of re-inventing the
wheel and hire a developer to do it for you.

>From the technical side, depending on what operations you need from GEOS
and what the required bandwidth between GEOS and your application is, I
could envisage a solution where you write a "GEOS daemon" that
statically links to the library and is released openly, supporting a
number of GEOS operations through simple network calls; and then you
make your application talk to that daemon like it is discussed here
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7062388/how-can-i-make-my-ios-apps-talk-to-each-other
or here
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8526694/does-ios-have-any-equivalents-to-dlls-ipc-process-spawning

Bye