[geos-devel] Permisive licence for GEOS?

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Sat Oct 19 11:29:59 PDT 2013

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 05:51:08PM +0000, Robin Fawcett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any way in which GEOS can be provided with a permissive
> licence such as MIT or BSD instead of LGPL?
>
> We develop an enterprise web mapping product which  uses GEOS. We
> are currently building an iPad version to work offline.  Apple's T's &
> C's permit FOSS but prohibit the use of GPL based licences, so this is
> a roadblock for us.

What's T and C ?
What is your enterprise web mapping product ?
How long have you been using GEOS ?
Did you ever contribute code to GEOS ?

The LGPL license is very permissive. It lets you not only use
the library for any purpose, but also to further distribute it,
to see the source code, and modify it, and distribute modified
versions. Extremely permissive.

The only thing it doesn't permit is not forwarding those same
permissions downstream. If you distribute GEOS, the authors of GEOS
want to make sure you distribute the freedoms you received with it.

Can you meet those conditions ?