[geos-devel] Geometry/Rectangle Intersection, line merging ?

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Sep 9 07:28:11 PDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 05:07:40PM +0300, Mika Heiskanen wrote:
> On 09/09/2014 04:55 PM, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> >I think avoiding the re-join is just done to do less work, as if needed
> >it can be obtained by a subsequent step.
>
> But in the case of the current algorithm, there is no need for re-join
> as the edge point is included automatically. The algorithm will skip
> edges which travel along the edges of the rectangle, not single vertices
> that just visit an edge. No amount of work is really saved by skipping
> the edge point. In fact, one might argue it would be slower to skip
> it since then there would be two memory allocations for the separate
> linestrings instead of just one for one linestring.

True. I'll try to make the existing tests tolerant to point-set equality
instead, so to accept both split and non-split results as valid.

I'd really love to get this path taken by default from ST_Intersection
if no other robustness issues come out.

--strk;

 ()  ASCII ribbon campaign  --  Keep it simple !
 /\  http://strk.keybit.net/rants/ascii_mails.txt