[geos-devel] libgeos BufferOp gives TopologyException “depth mismatch”

Alex Flint alex.flint at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 06:33:55 PDT 2014

I am working with the c++ interface to geos 3.4.2 on OSX (installed via
homebrew with --c++11).

I have created a LineString containing a CoordinateSequence of length 382
and then I run a buffer operation using:

    geos::operation::buffer::BufferParameters buffer_params;
    geos::operation::buffer::BufferOp buffer_op(input, buffer_params);
    geos::geom::Geometry* output = buffer_op.getResultGeometry(1.5);

This throws a geos::geom::TopologyException with message:

   depth mismatch at  at -6 -10.5

I have searched quite a bit for this error message but I have not found
anything about what "depth mismatch" actually means. What does this error
mean and what can I do about it?

The 382 points in my coordinate sequence are here:
https://gist.github.com/alexflint/dcea786628af3b43d21a

Thanks!

Alex