[geos-devel] Extraction of PHP extension into PECL-style package

J Smith dark.panda+lists at gmail.com
Mon May 2 07:32:17 PDT 2016

G'day list.

Just a quick update on the GEOS PHP bindings. I took some time last
night to take a look at PHP 7 and did a quick migration to their new
API. I'm able to compile cleanly and some of the tests are running,
although I need to sort through the individual methods and clean up
some bits and pieces here and there. Most of the pain at this point
involves changes to the way PHP 7 manages memory and moving over to
new data types like zend_string where it makes sense. It's definitely
a decent start, even if it's a bit rough at the moment. Once I get
everything stabilized I'll look into abstracting some of the changes
away into some macros and the like so that both PHP 5 and 7 can
compile from the same code base, as right now I've torn things apart
for the sake of getting to know PHP 7 a bit better. The major hang up
at the moment is the new memory management system, as I'm experiencing
segfaults at process shutdown and with garbage collection, but it's
nothing that's insurmountable, just some basic refactoring and
rejiggering that's necessary. I'll have some more time available soon
to try and wrap up a first pass, after which the abstractions will
come in.

Cheers, list.