[geos-devel] Ready to switch from SVN to GIT ?

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Tue Apr 4 03:36:51 PDT 2017

+1 for move.

-----Original Message-----
From: geos-devel [mailto:geos-devel-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Sandro Santilli
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 6:09 AM
To: geos-devel at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: [geos-devel] Ready to switch from SVN to GIT ?

I think we're finally ready to move the official repository from SVN to GIT, after dealing with the known issues in ticket https://trac.osgeo.org/geos/ticket/792

What would need to be done next is:

 - Set SVN repository as read-only
 - Ask developers to push new changes to "the" GIT repo

NOTE that only the code repository would change, while issues milestone and wiki will still be kept under trac, which is already giving read access to a GIT repository (currently being a mirror) and is parsing the git commit logs to automatically comment or close tickets.

* So now which GIT repo ? *

At the moment the GIT repository tracked by Trac is the one managed by Gogs.

Gogs does not read group permissions from LDAP, but provides an UI for organization owners to add/remove members from the team.

At this moment the "Owners" team of the "geos" organization is composed by me and Regina (of PSC) and Mateusz. Owners have full access to all repositories in the organization (we have 6 of them right now, some of which are private). Another team is the "php-geos-developers" one composed by myself and "darkpanda"
who have write access to the php-geos repository.

In order to move the official code under Gogs we'll need to reflect current roles in the project, which means getting all PSC members in the owners team and giving committers push access to the repository, but this can be done only once the users actually log into the system at least once.

I'll give some time to PSC members to react to this and state whether they agree on the move or what alternative they suggest.

  /\   https://strk.kbt.io/services.html