[geos-devel] Ready to switch from SVN to GIT ?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Apr 6 12:26:01 PDT 2017

On 6 April 2017 at 19:05, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 06, 2017 at 06:41:27PM +0200, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>>
>> Drone is rather an interesting addition, not something to rely on, from my POV.
>> It does not support builds on Windows. I'm not even sure it supports
>> builds on OS X.
>> (I mean 'guest' OS, not host).
>
> We have Jenkins building GEOS on Windows, that's another research topic.
> There is a Jenkins Gogs plugin which wasn't installed last time I checked.

Does it have multiple Visual Studio versions (2013, 2015, 2017), MinGW?
Is it configurable it with single file in git repo?

>> Tiny projects like GEOS, non-profits like OSGeo simply
>> can not afford investment in developing its infrastructure at low-level.
>
> I asked you in particular, and I'll keep asking each developer
> partecipating in a free software project community. It's something
> some people enjoy doing, because maybe they think they could use
> the investiment they make in the future (effectively using the software
> or just the skills built improving it).

Those should be considered side interests, outside of GEOS (OSGeo et al) scope.

>> I'll repeat myself, GitHub-based ecosystem is the only cost-effective
>> solution available for not-so-rich non-profits.
>
> It really depends on what's the effect you want to obtain.
> And what is the problem you're seeking a solution for.
> This mailing list is about development of GEOS.

Yes, and I apologies the discussion overlaps general OSGeo,
but in this particular case both are very tightly coupled.

> Do you think we have an infrastructural problem *blocking* the development ?
> Honestly, I don't think that's the case.

Inconveniences, even small, non-blocking ones, can easily become PITA.
Again, I do, kind of, speak up my opinion in the general OSGeo scope.

> There are currently 6 pending pull requests on github:
> https://github.com/OSGeo/geos/pulls
> One of them has a green CI and is pending since April 11, 2015.

I will risk opinion it might have been merged sooner, if git was there earlier.

>> IMHO, GitLab with GitLab CI with its shared runners is the only
>> sensible alternative.
>> but still it will require lots of admin investment.
>
> We don't need to pick one, as you can see.
> We're using all of them: github.com, gitlab.com, git.osgeo.org/gitlab
> and git.osgeo.org/gogs. Decide where to focus and invest your time !

Yes, I found my way through.

Best regards,