[geos-devel] Ready to switch from SVN to GIT ?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Apr 7 04:43:46 PDT 2017

On 7 April 2017 at 13:26, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 07, 2017 at 01:12:42PM +0200, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>
>> approach based on suggesting/requesting to join SAC and join admin efforts
>> or join gogs/gitea and contribute, whenever someone expresses interest or
>> makes a feature request to SAC is not an acceptable policy.
>
> Why not ?
> OSGeo is a non-profit organization walking on the legs of its members.
> I find it perfectly acceptable to stimulate partecipation.

Because the stimulation has already reached level of annoyance.

If developers of OSGeo projects are being pulled down every time they
pass trenches of SAC,
they will quickly change routes and solve their admin problems
differently (eg. moving out).

Majority of the community members are perfectly aware who and what drives OSGeo
and if anyone has time, experience/knowledge and will to volunteer,
they do/will help. If nobody shows up, despite the clear advertisement
(ei. foundation/about.html, foundation_faq.html, wiki/Volunteers_Needed),
it means nobody can or want to help.

> As I'd really like for that service to continue, I campaign for growing
> the volunteers base.
> I think this is perfectably acceptable.

Forgive me, but it's long no longer a campaign, but delegating and
setting obstacles.
Starting with mantra case, I have received at least 4-5
close-to-unpleasant comments like
you want me to read the instructions? First, stop making it so
difficult to submit a bug report.
Second case, where is the Trac XML RPC plug-in I asked to install, I
asked who to ask,
next I'm going to ask who to found a bounty, shall I?
Mind you, I need the plug-in to actually do **volunteer** for OSGeo?
Mind you, no coordinators, SAC PSC members, nobody answered even
basic: Sorry, no manpower, can't be done.
That is Catch 22!

If there is nobody to admin OSGeo infrastructure, then OSGeo should
not run any infrastructure.

Keeping to annoy people won't solve anything for us.

Best regards,