[geos-devel] Breeding .editorconfig is bad

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Apr 7 04:04:00 PDT 2017

Hi,

Recently, I've been arguing with Sandro, that breeding .editorconfig
file per folder is a bad idea.

The rationale was this:
- if files in a directory use different (en)coding style than the one
specified in .editorconfig,
- then, create .editorconfig in such directory with settings matching
the style of directory.
Purpose of that was to automate cultivation of the current mixture of
code formatting/styles.

I objected this practice and tried to avoid the multitude of .editorconfig's
Often, single file contains bits in styles and such scoped .editorconfig
will lead to commits mixing actual (logic/behaviour) code change
with code formatting changes. Unacceptable!

See the problem in action here:

https://github.com/OSGeo/geos/pull/81/files

My call, again, is to stop it and get rid of any spaces/indentation settings
in .editorconfig for as long as we don't get the code reformatted into
desired style.
Alternatively, please, make your editors ignore .editorconfig completely
and manually align with coding style as presented in actual file being edited.
That's what I'm going to do.

Best regards,