[geos-devel] GEOS 3.7.0 release in 2 weeks

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Thu Aug 31 18:12:04 PDT 2017

> "Regina Obe" <lr at pcorp.us> writes:

>>  Let me know if anyone has issue with that or if they really want an RC
>>  first.

> From the packaging viewpoint, I'd like an RC (which preferably unpacks to
the same pathname as the file, so that one can just change the version in
the packaging file and build it, but of course I can hack around
non-standard > behavior).  I suspect other people that package can pre-stage
an update and try it, running tests, etc., and this may smoke out some
issues.

> (I haven't been paying attention, but I had no idea a 3.7 was imminent.
>  Just a random comment; there's no reason me being surprised matters.)

Yah it's a little rushed because we have a function in PostGIS 2.4.0 that
relies on GEOS 3.7 -- this one

https://postgis.net/docs/manual-dev/ST_FrechetDistance.html

and though you can compile PostGIS 2.4.0 with 3.4 or higher, I did have to
put in a warning something to the effect:

"If you are compiling with GEOS < 3.7you are not getting the full PostGIS
functionality."

It seems almost silly to say that if GEOS 3.7.0 is not out yet.

Okay I'll release an RC before final.  Not sure how much I can fuss with
internal packaging since I'm planning to just use the make dist which I
think will end up putting it out as -RC.

Thanks,
Regina