[geos-devel] GIT repo url updated

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Tue Dec 19 00:31:40 PST 2017

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 07:29:34PM -0600, Howard Butler wrote:

> > Following an upgrade of OSGeo GIT hostign services technology
> > from Gogs to Gitea [1] the official GEOS git repository URL
> > changed to:
> >
> >  https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/geos/geos.git
>
> Why are the URLs changing and not stable?

Because the service was (and still is) experimental.
It changed URl a few times already, but always
with proper redirects left in place.

> Should we expect to have to sed our repositories ever few months as
> OSGeo changes its infrastructure over and over again?

You can keep the old URL, it'll still work. It's just nice to
recognize what we're using (Gitea, no more Gogs) and avoids an
hop to directly go to the new URL.

> For reference, the GitHub "mirror" hasn't moved

It actually was, used to be on libgeos/libgeos before Mat
moved it to osgeo/geos. I did change my git config at that time
(although also GitHub provides redirects).

> has 80 forks and nearly 30 people watching it

I'm glad the mirror is being effective.

> The base of contributors who wish to participate is there.

Nobody wants to kick them out. Pull requests are open.

> Is easier to get a bank account than an OSGeo ID nowadays.

Last time I checked banks wanted national ID cards, we are ok
with a trustworthy email or website :)

> It's like this project doesn't want people to contribute.

Why do you think so ? I love good contributions.

> Why must this project keep tilting at this windmill?

It's actually pretty stable. Still using Trac, still on OSGeo,
and not having many commits either. The biggest recent move
has been from SVN to GIT, was it too much wind for you ?
Should we move back to SVN ? (I didn't start this :P)