[geos-devel] GIT repo url updated

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Mon Dec 18 17:29:34 PST 2017

> On Dec 17, 2017, at 6:42 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:
>
> Following an upgrade of OSGeo GIT hostign services technology
> from Gogs to Gitea [1] the official GEOS git repository URL
> changed to:
>
>  https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/geos/geos.git
>
> Assuming your official remote is called "origin", you can update its
> url running the following command from within your clone:
>
>  git config remote.origin.url https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/geos/geos.git
>
> You can replace "origin" with whatever it is called.
>
> Or, if you feel adventurous, you may try the following, which works
> for any other repository you may be tracking from the OSGeo git hosting
> service:
>
>  sed -i 's|/gogs/|/gitea/|' .git/config
>
> NOTE: redirects are in place so there's no rush to do this, just be
>      aware

Why are the URLs changing and not stable? Should we expect to have to sed our repositories ever few months as OSGeo changes its infrastructure over and over again?

For reference, the GitHub "mirror" hasn't moved, has 80 forks and nearly 30 people watching it https://github.com/osgeo/geos The base of contributors who wish to participate is there. Is easier to get a bank account than an OSGeo ID nowadays. It's like this project doesn't want people to contribute.

Why must this project keep tilting at this windmill?

Howard