[geos-devel] GEOS-3.5.1 released

Bas Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 10 05:20:12 PST 2017

On 2017-01-10 14:10, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> this release is causing on cygwin a share lib version bump from
>
> cyggeos-3-5-0.dll to cyggeos-3-5-1.dll
>
> As FIX only I do not see any change requiring it.
> Is this assumption a bit too much ?

It's conservative. C++ libraries have notorious unstable ABIs even
affected by changes to the compiler version, so having version encoded
in the library name helps track transitions.

There shouldn't be many reverse dependencies in cygwin using the C++
library, so rebuilding those that do should be easy. We did this in
Debian where only OSSIM, GRASS, osmium & osm2pgsql needed to be rebuilt
with the new library.

Projects using the GEOS libraries should limit themselves to the C
library which is not (as often) affected by ABI changes.

Kind Regards,

Bas