[geos-devel] Minimun distance between two polygons

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Fri Jan 20 05:57:21 PST 2017

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 2:28 AM, alb.sil.81 at virgilio.it <
alb.sil.81 at virgilio.it> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>

> using GEOS 3.5.0 and PHP my aim is to measure the minimum distance in
> meters between two polygons in Google Maps coordinate (Latitude/Longitude
> WGS84).

Since your inputs are in lon/lat, you're fundamentally out of luck, even if
you solve your problem below. The nearest points in lon/lat space are not
the actual nearest points, because the lines in lon/lat space are not the
same as the great circles that connect points in spherical space. You
really need to either project your objects into a planar space first, then
use GEOS, or move to some completely different tool set, like a port of s2
(spherical geometry) algorithms into php
https://github.com/eelf/s2-geometry-library-php