[geos-devel] Supporting OGC winding rules for polygons

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Fri Nov 24 00:09:31 PST 2017

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 12:49:09PM +0000, Heiskanen Mika (FMI) wrote:

> Would it be possible to add support for OGC (v 1.2) winding rules?

A patch is welcome. I'm not concerned about ABI at the C++ level,
but adding a parameter to a virtual method may break existing
codebases in a subtle way (ie: no error/warning at compile time but
overrides will not be called) so maybe is better to just expose
a *new* virtual method ? But I'm also happy to just document the
change very prominently in the NEWS file.

As in master we're not allowing use of C++11 it may be good to add
the "override" specifier to be more robust about these cases at
least inside GEOS itself:
http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/override

If you go with the optional argument please consider making it
extensible. There is a case of using BoundaryNodeRule enum, which
could be similar in spirit.

> I did not check the C-API though.

New function would be needed there anyway. GEOSNormalizeOGC ?