[geos-devel] GEOS 3.7.0rc1 release

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Mon Aug 20 13:30:35 PDT 2018

> Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> writes:
>
> > However, the C++ library seems messed up and I haven't looked into why
> > yet (will do, but wanted to caution others to look).
> >

> > libs before:
> >
> > -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  20427339 Aug 20 08:06 /usr/pkg/lib/libgeos-
> 3.6.2.so
> > -lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel        19 Aug 20 08:06
/usr/pkg/lib/libgeos_c.so ->
> libgeos_c.so.1.10.2
> > -lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel        19 Aug 20 08:06
/usr/pkg/lib/libgeos_c.so.1 ->
> libgeos_c.so.1.10.2
> > --rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   1228435 Aug 20 08:06
> /usr/pkg/lib/libgeos_c.so.1.10.2
> >
> > libs after
> >
> > -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  24765613 Aug 20 14:51
/usr/pkg/lib/libgeos--no-
> undefined.so
> > lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel        19 Aug 20 14:51
/usr/pkg/lib/libgeos_c.so ->
> libgeos_c.so.1.11.0
> > lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel        19 Aug 20 14:51
/usr/pkg/lib/libgeos_c.so.1 ->
> libgeos_c.so.1.11.0
> > -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   1520154 Aug 20 14:51
> /usr/pkg/lib/libgeos_c.so.1.11.0
>
> The problem is the new use of sed instead of major/minor/patch.  The sed
> expression throws an error with NetBSD's sed, and gives an answer that
> seems wrong with gsed.  The use of extra [] just inside the () doesn't
seem
> right.
>
> Perhaps there should be instead of patch, patch and rc variables, with rc
> being empty in releases, so that the old way can work.
[Regina Obe]

It's sad sed doesn't work the same everywhere. I thought there was a sed gnu
that works equally well on all platforms no as it's used a lot in PostGIS
too, though maybe we got rid of most of the use of it.

That said, do like the idea of separating out the rc/dev/beta thing, and
calling it something like PATCH_DEV

Let me think about how much trouble this would be to do.  Sounds like it
would be the least invasive.

On a more annoying note I think I've got like 3 or 4 places to mess with
though I guess we can focus on just changing the configure one and leave the
CMAKE and MSVC ones alone since those are hard-coded too.

Boy would I love to get rid of redundancy here, something to think about for
GESO 3.8.

Thanks,
Regina