[geos-devel] GEOS 3.7.0rc1 release

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Aug 21 05:38:17 PDT 2018

"Regina Obe" <lr at pcorp.us> writes:

> According to the git logs, Mat removed it cause it's not used and is
> deprecated in C++11
>
> commit 441dc93f8cd23dcdf204143d524e426f4ccb8bc3
> Author: Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net>
> Date:   Thu Sep 7 10:25:58 2017 +0200
>
>     Remove GeometryList class
>
>     It is completely unused in GEOS and becomes deprecated in C++11.
>     Use std::vector<Geometry::Ptr> instead.
>

> So I think that fits under our NEWS item
>
>   - Use C++11 unique_ptr, nullptr, and override constructs
>     (Mateusz Loskot)

I find the notion of "fits under" strange, but perhaps I have  a
different view of NEWS.

To me, NEWS should summarize all user-visible changes of consequence,
with the intended audience being people who are using geos somehow but
not really intimately familiar with it.

So, a change to C++11 is certainly huge.

But, withdrawal of any file previously installed in my opinion should
always be mentioned explicitly.