[geos-devel] C++ version, documentation and --std flags

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Oct 4 06:28:57 PDT 2018

I'm seeing test failures in trunk, built with autotools in an objdir
with gcc 4.8 on NetBSD 7 amd64.  They are obviously C++ build issues,
but only happen when building tests.  I am not trying to ask others to
debug these in this mail.

I looked in README.md to find out what version of C++ is needed, and
don't see any --std= flags inserted in the build.  Various compiler
versions seem to have varying default standards, and it seems best to
declare the version being used so that builds will hard fail obviously
if that isn't ok.

In my case, I think gcc 4.8 almost entirely supports C++11, but defaults
to C++03 without --std=c++11.