[geos-devel] C++ version, documentation and --std flags

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Thu Oct 4 06:42:32 PDT 2018

On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 09:28:57AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I'm seeing test failures in trunk, built with autotools in an objdir
> with gcc 4.8 on NetBSD 7 amd64.  They are obviously C++ build issues,
> but only happen when building tests.  I am not trying to ask others to
> debug these in this mail.
>
> I looked in README.md to find out what version of C++ is needed, and
> don't see any --std= flags inserted in the build.  Various compiler
> versions seem to have varying default standards, and it seems best to
> declare the version being used so that builds will hard fail obviously
> if that isn't ok.
>
> In my case, I think gcc 4.8 almost entirely supports C++11, but defaults
> to C++03 without --std=c++11.

Could it be one of those autoconf-version related issues ?
Supposedly -std=c++11 should be added by the call to

    AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX

which is found in configure.ac and defined in
macros/ax_cxx_compile_stdcxx.m4

I haven't worked on this part myself (Mateusz did) so don't
know much more than what I just found out..