[geos-devel] C++ version, documentation and --std flags

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sat Oct 6 16:07:49 PDT 2018

Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 09:28:57AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> I'm seeing test failures in trunk, built with autotools in an objdir
>> with gcc 4.8 on NetBSD 7 amd64.  They are obviously C++ build issues,
>> but only happen when building tests.  I am not trying to ask others to
>> debug these in this mail.
>>
>> I looked in README.md to find out what version of C++ is needed, and
>> don't see any --std= flags inserted in the build.  Various compiler
>> versions seem to have varying default standards, and it seems best to
>> declare the version being used so that builds will hard fail obviously
>> if that isn't ok.
>>
>> In my case, I think gcc 4.8 almost entirely supports C++11, but defaults
>> to C++03 without --std=c++11.
>
> Could it be one of those autoconf-version related issues ?

Perhaps, but I have
  autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.69
  automake (GNU automake) 1.15.1
which I expect is pretty up to date.

The first question is what language standard is needed, and to get this
in README.md, which should document prerequisites.   Is it correct that
it's C++11 as the language (on trunk)?

> Supposedly -std=c++11 should be added by the call to
>
>     AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX
>
> which is found in configure.ac and defined in
> macros/ax_cxx_compile_stdcxx.m4

I do not see that in configure.ac on trunk.  But I realize now that's
because I'm still using the svn repo, and despite the trac showing that
under 'browse source', that's no longer what's official.

So I suggest that if the svn isn't up to date, and the code from svn is
really migrated to git, that the svn repo be made no longer accessible.e