[geos-devel] RFC 9: Restore C++ API as public API

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Fri May 17 07:28:39 PDT 2019

+1 from me

This change rolled through very quickly. We have survived perfectly
happily with our old policy of installing all the headers and letting
people shoot off exactly as many toes of their feet as they like.
Having a C++ library that doesn't let people build against it is a
little weird. I know packagers like to have only one copy of a system
library that never ever changes, but that's just not realistic. Rather
than packagers wagging the project dog, I would rather see packagers,
who now very much know about this issue, use some other approaches to
achieve the level of stability they desire. I'd think that, for apps
that are built against the C++ API, statically linking them to GEOS
would be a nice way to avoid getting locked into a particular system
version of GEOS.

This change is still intra-release, I see no particular problem with
rolling it back, and having 3.8 look very much like 3.7.

P.