[geos-devel] overlay-sr merged to master

rmrodriguez at carto.com rmrodriguez at carto.com
Mon Aug 3 10:18:56 PDT 2020

I've been doing some tests today and opened a couple of tickets
related to issues with intersections.

I'm not sure how interesting they are right now as I haven't checked
for validity, but I've run the default tile generation performance
test (full tiler) to compare the performance between the new and old
overlay generations (attached doc).

The MVT tests are using the GEOS backend, which is still much slower
than wagyu (5-10x in the slow cases, which are huge polygons in low
level zooms) but there are some really nice improvements there (see
`[MVT] Canada [...]` tests). It is possible that those cases are slow
because they need to call makeValid because the call to Intersection
fails or because new points are added outside the MVT precision, but
the only way to check is to add logging and check specific tiles. In
any case, I've only used the GEOS C API, which AFAIK doesn't yet
provide control over the precision.

There are other tests that have slowed down a bit but I haven't looked
into any of them at this point.

--
Raúl Marín Rodríguez
carto.com