[geos-devel] Is Overlay-NG active?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Oct 15 08:59:39 PDT 2020

Can I ask whether there is, or could be, a function exposed in the C_API,
or a header variable say in geoc_c.h, showing whether the running GEOS is
using Overlay-NG or not?

After help from the list, I've now run checks on R packages either
themselves linking to GEOS, or using functions from packages which do link
to GEOS. A half-dozen or so fail on unit tests, typically because the
ordering  of coordinates varies (say same polygon, but starting at  a
different place), or the ordering of sub-geometries (say slivers from a
Union operation) varies from before Overlay-NG. The objects are the same
(for given precision), but unit tests in packages compare the WKT of the
output geometry with the expected WKT (often generated from output before
Overlay-NG).

So if we could provide a way for the unit tests to compare correctly
branching on Overlay-NG or not, the package maintainers could avoid
having to scramble when platforms and R packages linking to GEOS begin to
appear.

Another question raised by package maintainers - do we know when 3.9.0 may
be expected, and will it have Overlay-NG? However, providing them with an
easy way to ask the GEOS runtime if it is Overlay-NG or not will relieve
the pressure.

Anyway, the failure count is very low, a half-dozen from hundreds is fine
(and if they didn't write tests, that isn't our problem...).

Roger

--
Roger Bivand
Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.