[geos-devel] Is Overlay-NG active?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Oct 15 12:24:32 PDT 2020

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020, Regina Obe wrote:

> Roger,
>
> I'll let Paul answer the question of when we can expect a 3.9 as he
> probably has a better idea than anyone else. All I know is the plan is
> we'll be releasing GEOS 3.9 and PostGIS 3.1 around the same time since
> there is some functionality in PostGIS 3.1 that leverages GEOS 3.9 if it
> is compiled with GEOS 3.9.
>
> As far as testing, on the PostGIS side to make the old Geos and new Geos
> agree, I've been applying ST_Normalize
>
> Which looks to come from Geos CAPI - GEOSNormalize
>
> Can you use that to deal with the failures you are running into?  That
> should make the wkt of both GEOS old and new agree.

Thank you, yes, probably. However, both legacy overlay and Overlay-NG
differ from GEOSNormalize() (as far as I can see from a simple test), so
the half-dozen package maintainers will need to go from legacy to
normalized and then avoid having to condition on the GEOS version.

Best wishes,

Roger

>>> https://scholar.google.no/citations?user=AWeghB0AAAAJ&hl=en